Saturday, January 31, 2009

The Silver Box Revived



A couple of years ago, A friend and I ganked 2 high-powered gaming machines (a pair of Compaq X09's to be exact) being held hostage by a ruthless, world dominating tele-marketing operation. As agreed upon, one wounded up with me. We dubbed the 2 gaming computers as the "Silver Boxes" after their sleek silver Cooler Master casing. We adored those boxes as they were good awesome enough to let us visit Shattrath without a serious frame rate drop! We had a solid run with those rigs for a good year and a half until they, as with every other high tech mars manufactured technology faded into obsoletism.


Maybe it was chance, but a few weeks ago I was in my office desk browsing for both Nvidia and Intel parts. One thing led to another and, after an hour of putting off work for personal browsing, I decided that I had to get a new ass kicking, frame rate stomping rig. And when I did go out and canvassed parts for my new computer, I was surprised at the casing that they offered me.


I knew from that moment on that the spirit of the old Silver Box was calling out to me. "You shall resurrect me and infuse me with power overwhelming!" the imaginary voice of the Silver box commanded. What else can I do? so I went on and assembled the most awesome parts my money at the time can muster:

Core i7 2.66GHZ Overclocked to 3.8GHZ
6 Gigabytes of Triple Channel RAM
x2 Nvidia GTX 285
Scavenged Parts from the Death Star 2

Given that game developers are on a constant quest to fuck over our framerates, I have yet to play one that can lag the newly revived Silver Box.

No comments:

Post a Comment