Saturday, March 27, 2010

Currently Reading: Dark Heresy Ascension




I am taking a break from my Men of War scripting lessons. Needed a fresh perspective on how to set-up certain scenarios. The reason I love the world wide web so much is that you end up with some very useful information that is distantly removed from what you started to look out for.

It has been a while since I had my groove for tabletop RPGs going. Acquired a copy of Dark Heresy Ascension the other day and now skimming through the pages bit by bit. I like what I am reading so far.

A couple of years back, my group started a Dark Heresy campaign. It ended abruptly as the general consensus was that it "wasn't Warhammer enough". And indeed it was not so: The game limited itself to needless minimalism and only allowed to play "regular joes" as tools of the actual Inquisition. Rules on how to play an actual Inquisitor were frustratingly missing.This wasn't what I had in mind for my W40k RPGS. The decadence and the baroque feel of the setting was surely translated in the fluff but, running the game, I always felt like we were clutching at straws as far as player character abilities go. I was looking for the over-the-top, politically incorrect, scores of dead bodies game that we believed W40K to be (Exterminatus comes into mind). The appeal of the tabletop wargame was the way it's exaggerated/flamboyant universe was almost a parody unto itself. Needless to say, Dark Heresy has not captured that grandeur (Cthulhu in Space is more like it).

Enter Ascension.



Dark Heresy: Ascension is the newest sourcebook from Fantasy Flight games and advances the Dark Heresy characters to the next level. What I've read from my cursory browsing has shown promise. Now we see PCs as Inquisitors, Interrogators and (drum-roll please) a fuckin VINDICARE ASSASSIN. Now Dark Heresy actually looks and reads like a proper Warhammer game. This has been almost around 3 years coming but it was sure worth the wait. I have not gone through the entire thing yet but I shall write what I think when I have carefully gone through the entire book in detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment